Sunday, June 13, 2010

Knowing when

I have two elderly cats that I rescued when an old boyfriend walked away and left them 15 years ago. I know they are at least 17 or 18. The younger cat Meister is failing. He isn't in kidney failure, but has elevated enzymes. He has stopped eating. He isn't in pain, and he mostly sleeps, but sometimes he paces with a wobbly gait.

This has been a week of anxious thought, worrying for how I cared about Reason. I should have helped her sooner, and that thought is keeping me determined not to let little Meister cat languish. He still purrs softly when I hold him. He enjoys his head rubs.

I read about pet hospice when it was Reason's time, and I honestly thought I could let her pass on her own and that would allow her to prepare herself. Two weeks and she was still holding on. Why would I not let go sooner? Why would I be so selfish?

No comments: